Zac Sunderland, Youngest Person to Sail Solo Around the World

On July 16, 2009, at age 17, Zac Sunderland became the youngest person to sail solo around the world, a record previously held by Australian David Dicks. Zac began his trip on June 14, 2008 at the Marina del Rey, California on board his sailboat he name Intrepid. After 13 months and 2 days at sea, he arrived at Marina del Rey, California greeted by his family and friends and a crowd of reporters, a world record holder.


When Sunderland decided to attempt the circumnavigation, he purchased a 36 feet (11 m) Islander for $6,000, using all of his savings. With the assistance of his father, he retrofitted the yacht for the trip. Sunderland planned to complete his voyage in April 2008 with a maximum time of 18 months. He continued his schooling while on his trip, saying, "I have all my books with me. I have one more year to finish at high school and I have to send back my tests (via e-mail) to my mom. She's going to grade them and make sure I am doing well.
Link (Image by: zacsunderland.com)

Related Posts by Categories




If you like this post then please consider subscribing to my full feed RSS. You can also subscribe by Email and have new posts sent directly to your inbox.

0 comments:



Latest Posts